Friday 1 May 2009

Daf is dreaming


Daf had been sitting there staring into space,
could have been hours, could have been days
meditating in the wicker chair, when she turns
to look at me and blinks; could have been an idea,
could have been wind, I’m really not sure, so I ask her
if she’s been wondering what life would be like with long eyelashes –
and she raises her eyes to the sky – like I should have known
she’s been wondering about the hypnotic eyes
of a peacock, and a hen; the hen wondering
what life would be like with long eyelashes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this one, Nicky! I've read it over and over and over and am still discovering hidden nuances!

Delia Psyche said...

I like this kind of enigmatic, extempore-seeming whimsy. Is it atypical? Are you loosening up, going wild, letting it flow?